To serve as a lighthouse, offering a beacon of hope by bringing people to Christ and strengthening believers in their faith through biblical teaching, healthy relationships, and compassionate service. 

At HFCOG we strive to love God and love others as we learn what it means to live in a growing relationship with Jesus Christ. Our pastors bring messages that relate the scriptures to where we live today as we together seek to grow in our faith. There are small groups for all ages in which you can participate on Sunday mornings and at other times through out the week where you can learn more about what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. We offer both traditional worship, which utilizes the great old songs of the church accompanied by organ and piano, as well as contemporary worship that employs more modern music using guitars, drums, and keyboards. We believe the church is called to be a light in the world in which we live and to offer a message of hope and love that is founded upon God’s grace.



Our congregation was founded in 1917 as a church plant by the West Poplar Street Church of God in York, PA. The church began meeting in a rented room on the third floor of a building located on Center Square in downtown Hanover. In 1921 property was purchased at 337 Frederick Street and it was there the church met in a temporary wooden structure until 1927 when the church building was completed. Over the years, the Lord blessed the ministry offered by the Hanover First Church of God. Through the course of time a parsonage was purchased, a Sunday School wing was added and a few other renovations were made to the building. As the Lord continued to bless, the church continued to grow and in 1997 the congregation moved into their current facility located at 600 Fairview Drive.


We are part of the Churches of God, General Conference which is headquartered in Findlay Ohio. Our beginnings however can be traced to Harrisburg Pennsylvania. It was there in 1826 when John Winebrenner began a new church by meeting on the banks of the Susquehanna River. Winebrenner emphasized the importance of being born again, that all believers were brothers and sisters in Christ, and the belief that any gathering of believers should be called a “church of God”. Insistent that this new movement not be named after him, Winebrenner and the other church leaders finally decided upon the name “Churches of God” as churches were planted and joined together into what was called an “eldership” which eventually became the Churches of God General Conference. For more information about the Churches of God go to cggc.org


We believe strongly that the church is to be an instrument of God’s grace. Therefore there has been a strong conviction to support missions, both locally and globally. You can check out some of the ways we carry the message of God’s grace by taking a look at our Ministries page.
Sunday Worship Services:
The Hanover First Church of God (HFCOG) currently offers four worship services every Sunday morning.
We offer two traditional worship services, one at 8AM and one at 11AM in the chapel. These services utilize both familiar hymns as well as more recent songs and choruses. The organ and piano provide the basic accompaniment, but from time to time wood winds, brass, and other instruments may also be used.
We also offer a “contemporary” service at 930AM and 11AM which meet in the Fellowship Hall. This service features a more informal atmosphere with newer praise songs and choruses led by a worship team using guitars, keyboards, bass, and drums for the accompaniment and several vocalists.
At all of our services our Pastors share messages that are relevant to the time we live in and are Biblically sound designed to help us grow in our Christian faith